Sails & Sabres
Piracy Downtime Events
- Bad Weather The ship encounters a sudden squall. There is a 10% chance that this escalates to a Devastating Storm. DC 20 Survival Check to anticipate the weather or the ship losses 1d4 Goods/Cargo. Devastating weather gives the Broken condition to the ship’s sails (propulsion(air)).
- Brawl A fight breaks out among the crew or with the crew of another ship in port. Gain 1d4 Influence for the crew’s barbarous ways. Make a DC 20 Intimidate check to stop the brawl before things go to far. Failure means you loose 1d3 Labor and Influence from injuries to body and pride.
- Crackdown the authorities are heavy handed this week. For 1d6 days take a -5 penalty on Captial checks as you must use extra caution to avoid getting caught. DC 20 Stealth check to avoid the fuzz, if failed by 10 or more 1 Team is arrested and considered lost. Alternatively, this can become a combat encounter with a naval or privateer vessel.
- Deadly Accident Roll 1d6; on a result of 1-4 the victim is a crewman, on a 5-6 it’s a passenger (if any are aboard). The victim suffers a grave injury and is dying. DC 15 Heal check or Magical healing stops them from dying. If the victim dies, morale suffers a blow, lose 1 Influence, and -10 to the next Capital check.
- Debris Adrift You encounter drifting salvage. Gain 1d2 Goods.
- Duel A pair of crewmen challenge one another to a duel to the death. Spend 1d4 Influence or make a DC 25 Diplomacy or Intimidate check to stop the duel or lose 1 Labor and 1d2 Influence from the infighting.
- FIre! 75% Minor FIre (-1d2 Goods/Cargo); 25% Major Fire requiring magic to extinguish (Quench or Pyrotechnics) or lose -2d6 Goods, Labor, or Magic and the ship gains the Broken condition.
- Golden Opportunity A loaded down ship is sighted far from help or witnesses, maybe even damaged. Make a DC 30 Profession(Sailor), Intimidate, or Bluff check to gain +20 on the next Capital check, +1d4 Influence, +1d20x10 gp, and +1d6 Goods. Failure means a 1 was rolled on the Capital check and you loose 1 Influence. Failure by 10 or more means 25% of the Teams involved are captured or killed in the encounter (alternate: combat encounter with a Privateer ship disguised as a merchantman).
- Good Weather Add +10 to next Capital Check
- Infestation Ongoing. -10 to Capital Checks and lose 1 Goods, Labor, or Magic per day. DC 20 Handle Animal or Survival check to end the infestation. DC +1 /day since original infestation.
- Mutiny Combat encounter or make a DC 25 Bluff, Intimidate, or Profession(Sailor). Failure means losing control of the ship. Success means losing 1 Labor and 1d2 Influence.
- Sickness Ongoing. Half-Earnings each day. DC 15 Heal check at the end of each day to end. 20% chance to lose 1d2 Labor/day.